Friday, May 8, 2020

Are You a Leader or a Follower?

Being An Effective Follower Can 
Make You A Better Leader

Many years ago during in my career, when I first started interviewing people for sales positions, I was given a list of suggested questions to ask applicants.  One of those questions was, 'Do you consider yourself to be a Leader or a Follower?'  Nine times out of 10, I would first get a puzzled look as they thought of how to answer.  Over the years that question has stuck with me, as it is somewhat of a trick question, and I received a lot of interesting answers.

While contemplating how I was going to explain this concept and searching for graphics to add to this piece, I came across an amazing article that sums up this question.  I invite you to read it - 'From the Balcony.'  It explains it far better than I can.


As we start the process for Leadership Team selections, that question comes to mind.  Why?  Because within a chapter there are many members with different skill sets. To make a chapter successful it takes having the right people with the right skill sets being placed in the position where they can use their skill set to the best advantage.  Moreover, if that person likes what they are doing, they'll do a better job.

I believe for chapters to be successful all members need to do their share, be involved, and contribute beyond just showing up for the meeting each week.  By each member being involved and contributing, many hands make light work and everyone shares in the success of the chapter.

We are all busy, but if we are going to be part of something and want to be part of a successful organization, we have to be more than a name on a membership roster.

I bring this up now because most chapters will be polling their members soon to ask who do they think would be good in which Leadership roles in their Chapter and asking members which roles they feel they would like to be considered for.  If you want to be more involved and see changes made in your Chapter, then step up and ask to be considered.  Where can you put your skillset to good use?
 
To Your Success,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clarifying and Reporting Thank You for Closed Business

Understanding and Reporting Thank You for Closed Business seems to be confusing to BNI members. Here  are some podcasts and resources to hel...